Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Oh, the drama....

It was a cold and stormy night in February, and the mouse cage needed cleaning. I picked up the cage, and noticed that only one of the two pets were in the "skyroom." "Hmmmm," I thought to myself. I peered in through the window on the side of the cage, and couldn't see Jordan inside her house in the cage. "Where is she?" I wondered. I turned to leave the room, with cage in hand, and took another peek through the wind.... Window? There isn't a "window" in the cage! Oh. my. gosh! The cat knocked the tube to the "skyroom" off, and the mouse was out! (the other one was too much of chicken to venture out--smart girl!)

I tore the room apart, but, alas, no mouse. I suppose that, if the cat got her, we'd know--he'd leave us a "present." He's acting funny, though, like he did when we had a couple of field mice in the kitchen. I'll have to keep an eye on that. Maybe if I give him wet catfood, he'll leave it alone? Fat chance....

12:35 am: I hear the cat after something in the kitchen. I check on him, but there's nothing there.

12:45 am: I hear the cat again. I check, and this time....

There she is, wedged in between the laptop case and the cold, hard kitchen tile. She made herself as small as possible, to avoid the sharp claws that came at her. I gently picked her up, trying to inspect her. Have you ever tried to give medical treatment to a jumpy rodent? At any rate, her fur was a mess, and one beady black eye was HUGE and red, obviously injured. "I guess we'll have to wait and see if she makes it." Home at last, and, relatively safe from the cat, she went to sleep with her "sister."

6:30 am: She's still alive. Her eye looks better. However, she's traumatized, and unable to travel. She will have to postpone her trip to visit BratGirl1's class. She's very disappointed, but is grateful to be alive.

Incidently, the cat sat in the kitchen for about 1/2 hour, waiting for the mouse to come out. I don't think he realized that I rescued her!


Epilogue: Unfortunately, Jordan only survived a couple of days after this incident. BratMom even hand-fed Jordan water several times a day, because she went completely blind and was unable to find the water. After her passing, we got Bella.... Princess, the other mouse, passed away shortly before this incident, due to a tumor. Hence, Linda....

No comments:

Post a Comment